Friday, June 9, 2017

School's Out for Summer!

It is finally summertime for me, well aside from workdays and lots of random training days through the summer.  School will officially not have students in the building until August.  I have been trying to reflect and process on the end of the school year for this post, yet, I can't seem to find the words.

This school year has been a year of many firsts for me.  This school year was my first full year as a school counselor [I was hired mid year last year and was doing my internship for grad school simultaneously] I had so many trials and learning experiences throughout the year.

This job is rewarding and exhausting all at the same time.  When I was a teacher I was just plain tired.  I could talk all day about my opinions on teaching, how it's the hardest job and teachers don't get what they deserve in so many aspects but that could be a whole series of other blog posts.  Being a counselor means you have to be even more adaptable and emotionally available to whatever might come your way.  A lot of people still have no idea what my job entails.  A few pet peeves of mine: calling me a guidance counselor and questioning why elementary age kids might even need mental health support.  Oh if you only knew...

I can honestly say that I am right where I am supposed to be. I have so many goals and ideas swimming in my head of how to improve upon the school counseling program for next year.  As I sit back and reflect on this past year I have learned a few things.


  1.  Self care NEEDS to be a priority.
  2.  Kids matter.
  3.  Being fully present and listening to someone can be life changing.
  4.  The kids who need love the most show it in the most inappropriate ways.  
  5.  Building relationships takes time but keep trying and reaching out. Relationship is the foundation for success and change. 
  6.  School culture is unlike anything else.  
  7.  Be an advocate for doing what is right for kids. 
  8.  No two days look the same - even if your calendar might plan for it to seem that way. 
  9.  Kiddos can't help where they come from, it's not their fault, and it's not our responsibility to blame.  We need to teach it all - social skills, behavior, manners, AND math, reading, science, etc. with patience and love. 
  10.  Being kind will take you more places than you know. 


To all you teachers and school employees out there; I hope you have a happy and healthy summer! What have you learned this school year? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...